Vanity Part 1: Neemah Teriba (Anikestories)

I grew up living with my step mother, life with her wasn't smooth. It is true what the Yorubas say "Oju oloju o le da bi o ju eni". I couldn't wish for death while living with her, because I was of the believe that she would change. She did change, but it was too late.It was too  late for her to take her curses and insults back.
It was too late for her to amend my reputation the one she tarnished at the cause of my father. It was too late for her to right her wrongs. What wasn't late was the forgiveness and the love I had for her even when she told everyone I was a prostitute all because she locked me out of my father's house and made me sleep in my neighbor's room. A thank you would have been enough, yet she claimed my neighbor helped me all because my vagina is sweet.

What I don't understand is : Do wicked people  feel jealous when someone else doesn't portray their own attitude? Do they feel bad when someone else isn't wicked? Do they expect everyone to be like them? I wonder what would have become of this life if the life was full of wickedness and there are no few people with the heart of gold. 

    A day I would never forget was when this woman sent me on an errand, I went but I got back late because of the heavy down pour. The rain was so heavy that the whole gutter was filled with water. I had to hide myself because if I go home under the rain, it would be another problem. 

Hmmm if I'd known the real problem was me not going home, I would have gone home under the rain. I wouldn't have minded the rain on me for the rain would have been minute compared  to the punishment she gave me. As if I didn't end up sleeping outside because  of spinach, I didn't want the spinach getting wet that's was why I hid myself. Only for me to be accused of being a home breaker. In her words; 
"you this girl, I've always known you don't like my marriage with your father, so you want him to come home and get mad at me when you're the one delaying my cooking. Now I had to eat my Eba ordinarily because of you this witch, before you ruin my house, I'd ruin your life", she said. Hmm can you imagine someone I was trying to help accusing  me of being a home wrecker. That was how she ended up telling me to sleep outside all because of spinach.

Comments